The business leaders of Salisbury, Maryland banded together on March 4, 1920 to form the Chamber from the Salisbury Business Men’s Association. This changed the character of the organization from the social to proactive support for the commercial sector. The organization has grown and become very active in the community. The chamber is now a 501 (c) 6 organization and continues to operate under a board of directors representing a membership of over 800 local companies and organizations.
Some important events in the life of the Salisbury Area Chamber include:
- In 1977, the $72,000 mortgage on the Chamber’s 2000 square foot office building at 300 East Main Street was burned after a successful fund raising campaign.
- The Chamber purchased its current home in December 2002 from Bank of America to address the need for a larger facility. The new Chamber Business Center is over 13,000 square feet and provides three meeting rooms. Several other non-profits have joined the Chamber in the 144 East Main Street facility to make it a hub of business support.
- In December 2008 the Chamber paid of the mortgage on 144 East Main Street and again is debt free.
- The Chamber formed the Salisbury Area Chamber of Commerce Foundation in January 2003 as a vehicle to help with beautification, quality of life and workforce development in the region.
- In 2000 the Chamber adopted the Eastern Shore Business Leadership Network as a sub-committee of the Chamber. The ESBLN assists in preparing people with disabilities for the workforce by working with groups who provide training and support.